The truth about second year of University

Not a writer but my first ever blog got a lot of good feedback and a few of my close girls asking when will I be writing again. I never thought that far ahead, never even expected the blog to get a lot of reads. As a matter of fact, I never even planned to post a blog. That wasn’t even in my thoughts. Originally, I planned to write how I felt that day and read it to one of my friends over the phone. Myself and this particular friend do this a lot where we write and share it with one another, it’s our thing. But if I’m honest, I personally thought that piece I wrote was a bit too good to not share it with everyone. My intention for posting it in the end was to encourage others just like I felt encouraged that day and I’m happy that it did. 

 

(Please read if you haven’t already-2021 the year of allowing God to work in my life). 


So whilst I sit here doing absolutely nothing during this third lockdown, I thought why not just write another one? Even though this is not what I do, it’s quite fun and plus there’s actually a lot of topics I could speak about. My life has been full of twists and turns, ups and downs, people in and out my life, finding my way. Learning and growing every single day. 


I’ll take you back to the time in my second year of university. Those close to me will know that was probably the worst year of education in my life! I started with high hopes. I had moved into my new place with a close friend of mine and two random tenants who we got to know over the academic year. Went out a couple times for freshers, enjoyed myself to the fullest. But then the assignments/essays came....


Believe it or not I actually failed my assignments. That is one of the reasons I felt so low in my second year. I was confused. I spent hours in the library, reading, writing and it didn’t show in my work. I was truly devastated. However, I still pushed myself to continue with the assignments that still had to be done, on top of revising for January exams. 


Right in this very moment where I was stressing about my grades, wanting to give up and leave but still pushing myself and trying to remain positive at the same time; my family and I received the news that my grandad had passed away. 


So now not only am I distraught about University, I now had to face the sad and harsh reality of losing my Grandad. (RIP I LOVE YOU) 


At this point I was literally doing multiple things at once. I was still trying to revise for my exam, stay alert for retake dates, whilst preparing to leave for America where my Grandad’s funeral was being held. 


If you haven’t guessed it yet. Yes, I was extremely unhappy and stressed out. 


However, I still went ahead with the exam before flying off to America. 


Oh by the way, grab some popcorn because the story only gets worst from here before it gets better. 


So my grandads send off was amazing. Honestly just the best. Little did I know I would be coming back to University with, that’s right, you guessed it..... More bad news!  Long story short my January exam that I took just before flying off to the USA did not get marked. 


(A moment of silence)


We had a answer paper and a question paper. Just my luck, I was only given the question paper so I answered the questions on there. Whole time I’m getting excited like “yeah this is light work, I got this in the bag!” Let’s just say I had to prepare myself to retake the exam over the summer period, even though the lecturers knew it was the university’s mistake and not mine. I didn’t let them off easy, definitely made sure I forwarded some very unkind emails and yes I had to attend a meeting after this...


Okay we’ll skip to the good parts! It does get better and there’s a happy ending I promise. 


So this all happened from September 2018 to January 2019. It’s been two years now but still feels so recent. During the year 2019 was literally the year of really focusing and getting my grades back up and making sure I don’t make the same mistake I did in first semester and hip hip hooray I managed to do just that. It wasn’t easy though. Every time someone mentioned the grades were out, I generally felt sick to my stomach. But thank God I secured my degree regardless of all the times I failed and all the times I was so stressed out. Thank you to the help of all my close people who really stood by me and supported me. God knew what he was doing when I met these three people. God always places people in your life for a good reason. 


As I’m reading this back I’m literally thinking how did I make it through second year without completely crumbling? It can only be God. Honestly, if it wasn’t for him I would’ve dropped out of University, I wouldn’t have even tried to retake any of my assignments or exams. But God gave me a strength that I never even knew I had to keep going and to keep pushing myself despite my circumstances. He gave me the gift of resilience. There’s a saying: “you never know how strong you are until you have to be.” And now I know. 


Sometimes God will put you in certain situations, not to be mean but to show you that you have a strength within you that you didn’t even know was there. To show you that you’re stronger then what you think. Don’t allow your problems to stray you away from your purpose. Life gets tough and yeah sometimes we feel like giving up and it’s okay to be down and have your off days but never stay there your purpose is to grow from these situations to make you a better version of yourself. 

Comments

  1. Well done great achievement I think you're mum and dad were terrific help also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece Selena. Very gifted young woman. Proud of you 💯😁👍🏽

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Change

Rejection is redirection